Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Gas Prices


With gas prices soaring and the thoughts of bringing my minivan to the pump this morning, I decided to look up ways to save $ on gas. I found an interesting article on http://www.edmunds.com/ on what really saves money and what doesn't. The full tests results are in the article (from 2005), Test #6 kills me. I am an idler. There is frost on the windows on my van this morning....I will be idling.


Here are the hightlights:

Test #1 Aggressive Driving vs. Moderate
Driving Result: Major savings potential
The Cold Hard Facts: Up to 37 percent savings, average savings of 31 percent
Recommendation: Stop driving like a maniac.
Aggressive vs. Moderate Driving: read the entire test

Test #2 Lower Speeds Saves
GasResult: Substantial savings on a long trip
Cold Hard Facts: Up to 14 percent savings, average savings of 12 percent
Recommendation: Drive the speed limit.
Lower Speeds Saves Gas: Read the entire test

Test #3 Use Cruise ControlResult: Surprisingly effective way to save gas
Cold Hard Facts: Up to 14-percent savings, average savings of 7 percent
Recommendation: If you've got it, use it.
Cruise Control: Read the entire test

Test #4 A/C On, Windows Up vs. A/C Off, Windows Down
Result: Nice in theory; not true in practice
Cold Hard Facts: No measurable difference (unless you open the sunroof, too!)Recommendation: Please, make yourself comfortable.
Air Conditioner: Read the entire test

Test #5 Check Your Tire Pressure Result: Important for safety and to reduce tire wear
Cold Hard Facts: No measurable effect on the vehicles we tested
Recommendation: Check your tire pressure often but don't expect a big savings.
Tire pressure: Read the entire test

Test #6 Avoid Excessive Idling
Result: More important than we assumed
Cold Hard Facts: Avoiding excessive idling can save up to 19 percent
Recommendation: Stopping longer than a minute? Shut 'er down.
Excessive idling: Read the entire test

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm an idler, too. That kills me! Those are some good tips. Thanks for sharing and I LOVE the picture!!

Too Cool for School said...

Hey at least you're not guzzling it up with an SUV. That was part of the reason I went to the dark side, i.e. bought the dreaded minivan. Well that, and I'm old and incurably boring. Oh yeah, and I have kids. ;-p

Unknown said...

I wish I could get that idling thing through my husbands head! With us driving 2 Suburbans the amount of miles that we do everyday, we need to use all of those tips.

Pam said...

Oh man are the gas prices killing me! I can't believe how high it is right now...thanks for sharing these facts!

Anonymous said...

These are great tips!