Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Girlfriends


I'm not exactly sure how it happens but I certainly know when it happens.






It can happen anywhere, at anytime, for any number of reasons. It might be at my son or daughter's school, or at hockey practice, or at a home party, or first day on a new job or even some random Saturday.






I find myself either being introduced to someone or maybe I am introducing myself......but at that very moment, when I say "hi", I know she is one............




There have been a few instances in my life when the moment I meet someone, I know I will have a lifelong friend.






It's a bit of an electric feeling...not like sticking a knife into a toaster electric feeling but, there is an energy...or maybe that's what they mean by chemistry.




Within the next few months you find you both have the same sense of humor....the same ideas about basic life things....family, children, husbands.....


You find you have this need to share details about what has gone on in your life up until that very moment when you both met.....when & where you were married...how many kids you have...where you had them...when & how there were born.....boyfriends from college (many back-in-the-day stories).....how you met your husband.......female bonding.




I have very few people I have met in my 38 9/10ths years of life that fall into this category (five that I can count). Two I met from high school....and the other three I've met afterwards.








Some I see & talk to everyday...and some I hardly see at all now. The thing about the ones I hardly ever see is that, we manage to pick up where we left off the last time we saw each other and there is no judging......like "why haven't you called" or "why don't you have time for me anymore". It's this unspoken acceptance of each other. A love....a trust.....a bond....that stands the test of time over & over again.






I know there are many people that say their spouses are their best friends. I will make it very clear that I love my husband with every ounce of being within me....but I have these friends. Women. That provide a sisterhood to me.......that provide a support & unconditional love to me.....that is irreplaceable.






I hope those 5 women know how they are a part of me as if they were my sisters. I cannot live without them.






I would do anything for them.








~Kris






"Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the bitch up with cookies."


~Anonymous




This post is dedicated to Trish, with Love, from her Cosmo Twin.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very sweet post.

Trish K said...

I remember that afternoon well....
Good friends..lemonade..steamers...
Life was Good
Life is Good

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

~T

Too Cool for School said...

that is sweet