Monday, September 22, 2008

Hope? Hop-ing? Hope-full? Hope-less"

No this is not a blog about the Patriots
Nor is this going to be a spiritual, or inspirational post

Hope is defined as: The feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best

But to this blogger...HOPE means one thing...

Hope Steadman

Yes of the show Thirtysomething

I am not sure why this show came to mind this morning while getting the kids ready for school. I was having one of my self indulgent Monday mornings thinking "is this it?" "this is what I signed up for?" And I thought of Hope Steadman... I thought as I had my 3rd argument of the morning "you signed up to play the saxophone and you are going to practice it young lady!!" Would Hope be having this argument with Janey?

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Thirtysomething. I thought I was going to be Hope Steadman. What cracks me up about that thought is when the show started, not only was I not a Thirtysomething...I was not even a Twentysomthing at the time. I was an Eighteen or Nineteensomething. I so desperately wanted to be a self involved, tortured mother who gave up her career for a heaping dose of Yuppie Guilt. I wanted to have friend's like smokey voiced Ellyn or funky Melissa (athough I wasn't a huge fan of Nancy, she was after all married to the actor that played Michael Steadman...which made her ok in my book). I also would loved to had a steamy affair with wild maned Gary (I know, I know that was never a storyline for Hope, but what the hell it is my fantasy right?).

Well the one thing in common, is I did marry a guy named Michael and I did have a daughter by the time I was Thirtysomething. But that's pretty much it. I was too young to be a baby boomer or a yuppie by the time I was Thirtysomething. None of us had great careers we were "sacrificing" and would easily have been "sellouts" for a decent salary. We weren't refurbishing old houses and listening to Van Morrison and talking about politics. We were staring at starter mansions, getting our first SUV and trying to drop baby weight for our 15 year reunion.

I have the feeling Hope wasn't stumbling around her back yard with Gary and Elliot on her 40th birthday either.


Perhaps I should have modeled myself after Carrie Bradshaw....




"But what is Hope? Nothing but the paint on the face of Existence; the least touch of truth rubs it off, and then we see what a hollow-cheeked harlot we have got hold of"

~Lord Byron

2 comments:

Kris said...

Great Post!

Still trying to lose my baby weight even those my youngest baby is now 5!

J. said...

I loved this post (and thirtysomething) as well!